There are side effects to having such an intense cultural immersion experience. For one, my spoken English has suffered. Really, it has. Not in that I have been speaking Chinese so much that I've forgotten how to speak my native tongue. [For the record: my Chinese has also suffered this term. No tutor, no time, no motivation. Sigh. My final LPI score in April was Intermediate - Mid, the same that I ended PST with. Double sigh. There was no test of my hanzi reading though, so I can leave feeling secure in knowing I can read Chinese as well as any small Chinese child.] The problem is that I have become accustomed to speaking with non-native speakers, who require that I slow down my pace and limit my vocabulary to words I know they have studied. Also, I pick up language cues from my students unintentionally. I start to forget to use my plurals, and Chinglish starts to sound normal to me. "Wow, that's so fashion!" I hear myself say, and try to add the ironic look to my face after the fact to hide my embarrassment. Another side affect is table manners. Yesterday, I caught myself about to spit a bone fragment from a piece of chicken I was eating ONTO THE FLOOR OF MY OWN KITCHEN. Chopsticks are not even a question. It doesn't feel normal to me to eat any kind of dish involving long noodles, diced vegetables, tofu or sliced meat with a fork. When I watch American TV shows, a feeling of horror wells up inside me when I see people with their shoes on in the house or, for chrissakes, ON THE FURNITURE! Do they not realize those are the same shoes that have been wandering the streets filled with human feces, expectoration, toxic dust, and pollution?
I am sure there are many more ways I have adapted to China, that I won't realize until I touch down back home. It's kind of like taking off some tinted glasses you've been wearing for two years. Everything, even the most familiar, mundane elements of life are going to look and feel different than they ever did before. And those are just the things that haven't changed drastically in the two years we've been gone. Richy has been reading Bill Bryson's, I'm a Stranger Here Myself, which he can't stop chuckling at, no doubt because it's full of all the peculiarities of American culture that we've forgotten while we were away.
We have been blessed with an unusually mild spring, temperature-wise. This time last year it was already in the 90's (F), while the past few weeks have only been in the 70's. The downside has been the torrential rain. The hillsides along our commute to work have started to show some long brown strips where there was once lush vegetation. The brick sidewalks are starting to sag into muddy sinkholes. There is a lot of worry about landslides in the countryside. In the meantime I don my new red rain boots I scored from a friend liquidating her belongings for travel and look forward to ten months of much lighter and colder rain next year in the PNW.
Now, I'm off to spend some time seeing people and doing things that I may never see or do again. See you in July, America!
~ Katie
PS. We will officially transition from PCVs to RPCVs (Returned Peace Corps Volunteers) on June 18th. On June 19th, we fly to Kashgar, Xinjiang Province and spend a few days there before we head to Urumqi for a few days, then back to Chongqing on June 30th, to make final preparations for our departure to the US on July 4th! I imagine I will post another blog about the Xinjiang adventure before heading home, provided I have time and internet access.
6 comments:
I love your posts, Katie. You have a beautiful way of expressing what I want to say. I have been in the US now for one week feeling a bit of fear at the idea of driving a car from point A to point B while missing the comfort and ease of getting on a bus or light rail to travel among 15 million or so Chinese people. Yesterday at the Target store more than one person said "excuse me" after coming within a few feet of my space or perhaps I was oblivious of intruding in their space! Enjoy your last few weeks in the Middle Kingdom. It has been great working with you and Richie.
Thanks Carol! It was a pleasure working with you as well. Enjoy your driving and American shopping elbow room while you can!
I really like this... and I might steal it
Ditto what Jason said. Way to put the fine point on the conflicted desire to go and stay. Might steal it too. :)
Steal away, my friends, steal away. I'm gonna miss my PC 朋友!
"It's hard to imagine a future where all these ordinary cultural tidbits I share with my students everyday will not only be worthless to the people around me, but practically invisible. And, let's be honest, no one in America cares about China to the extent that I am going to want to talk about it."
These lines really stuck out for me. I've been in China about 17 months now and am probably staying for at least another two years, so I wonder how much I will echo these sentiments when my time is up here...
Post a Comment