As I'm sure you can imagine, the 4th of July wasn't really a big deal here. I tried to get some folks together for a bbq, but no one was really into it considering that it was rainy and overcast. Just like many 4ths of past years' back home, but with a twist: rainy, overcast and effing 85 degrees (95% humidity)! Nonetheless we tried to entertain ourselves with some friends, Korean beer, and a few firecrackers we found down at the stationary shop (right next to the party favors, where they always are).
Humidity. A word I never really understood until I came to Korea. Walking out of air conditioning is like walking into a warm, wet blanket. It's pleasant for a few moments, but as soon as you actually have to do something in it you become miserable (and totally drenched in sweat/condensation). To top it off, while you're drenched in this sweat/condensation mix, you walk into a super air conditioned space and what at first is blessedly refreshing quickly becomes bone chilling (since you're wet and all). So you get this sensation like you're at a spa all day, running between the hot rooms and the ice rooms, only not quite as pleasant and not quite as optional. It makes you feel all clammy all the time. The evenings are pleasant though, and it seems a lot of people come out of the AC to enjoy the gentle evening breezes, but unfortunately the mosquitos (or mogi as they're called here) are ready and waiting to attack. I wish we could have a screened-in porch or something, but alas.
We've only got six weeks left in Korea, and I am already starting to feel a bit nostalgic. I've adapted to Korean culture in a lot of ways and I know it's going to be weird going home. When watching American TV I get totally grossed out when I see someone wear shoes inside or put their shoes up on a chair or something. I'm also afraid that I am going to be awkwardly bowing to people all time. It will also be weird not being noticed and feeling like the center of attention everywhere I go. No more double takes, no more special weigook treatment. It will just be strange to actually be able to sight read everything I see (instead of slowly sounding out each word for practice) and to understand the conversations of everyone around me. Hopefully it will be as interesting going home as it was coming here in the first place, but with less fear and awkwardness.
Let me leave you with this interesting glimpse into the world of strange Korean pop music:
by Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment