In honor of Buddhas birthday, each year S.Korean buddhists parade through the streets of seoul from Korea's main buddhist temple, Jogyesa. Buddha's birthday is determined by the lunar calendar, and the lantern festival is always on the preceding sunday. The parade consists of somewhere near 100,000 buddhists, monks, laypeople, armymen, etc. but the highlight of the parade are the giant and colorful lanterns.
The parade was interesting to see. Unfortunately it rained, and all of the umbrellas presented a problem for viewers. But we made our way forward, and the umbrellas, surprisingly, were actually put away when the rain stopped. I managed to get a few good pictures, but by the time my memory card was full, after about 75,000 of the buddhists had passed, I'd had enough. You can only see so many of the same thing before you start to lose your patience.
On an unrelated note, yesterday marked a pointless but symbolic milestone for us: 100 days until we leave.
Regards,
Richy.
1 comment:
Wow, Richy, I must say: all of your pictures look really great, very professional! As far as you guys leaving soon: not that you're counting right?
love you guys! kim
Post a Comment