Male Teachers vs. Third Grade (9th graders) boys. The mostly older, out of shape male teachers and I faced off against the much more fit and trained third grade boys soccer players. I dreaded it all day. Waiting to have to play soccer in front of the intently watching eyes of several hundred middle school students, whose eyes automatically affix themselves to my strange features and foreign ways.
I awkwardly walked onto the field, a sandy gravel courtyard between the three buildings of the school, and donned a bright green jersey. I was wearing a brand new pair of the cheapest running shoes I could find, which I purchased the night before in preparation for this event, and I'd changed out of my dress shirt, too. I was still wearing my baggy khakis, which have either gotten bigger on me since we arrived because of the lack of a dryer, or I've gotten smaller from all of the kimchi. (I have been told more than once that my face looks thinner.) Nevertheless, as the token white guy on the team, the other teachers had every intention of me looking nice out there, but of keeping the ball away from me.
It came to me twice. The first time was a tall lob from the other side of the field, and I cowered and nudged the ball with my upper arm as it fell from the sky, tried to kick it, and it was taken away by one of the third graders. They made me take the far side, and intended for me to run up close to the goal. But the ball never came my way. Against younger and more fit opponents, the fit male P.E. teachers were doing more than there fair share keeping up the defense.
The boys team quickly scored a goal. Play resumed. A couple of the male teachers on the opposite side of the field could get the ball close to the net. One of them passed, another shot. The goalie dove effortlessly to catch the ball. One of the male teachers ran up and kicked it out of his hands. Less than honorable, but accepted by the male teacher referee.
It was a tie game. A little back and forth, the boys were going easy on the teachers. I decided it was time to take off my jacket, look a little more serious. I handed it to a student, put my jersey back on and ran up to the opposing teams goal. The teachers were getting closer, but couldn't score. The boys weren't getting the ball to their side either. The male teachers had no intention of losing to their students.
Then it happened. The ball was coming down my side, there was a wide gap, no students were defending against me. Someone passed the ball, it came straight to me. I looked around, I was the farthest forward, there was no one to pass the ball to. I only had one choice, to shoot. I hesitated, and then dribbled the ball forward, shot and, goal!
High fives ensued, the students cheered. The male teachers were glowing with joy, and perhaps frustration that they themselves didn't score the goal. The game was ended immediately, to ensure the male teachers victory.
As I walked back to my office, in front of all the students, they erupted in cheers and called for high fives. I enjoyed a moment of celebrity, the closest I'll ever come to being a sports star.
1 comment:
Wow, I have goosebumps. Thats awesome.
Post a Comment